When we talk about sustainability, we mean:
- Social sustainability (affecting people and communities)
- Economic sustainability (financial viability and value for money)
- Environmental sustainability (our impact on the environment)
Within each area, we have specific goals and targets.
Within this policy, we are seeking to achieve JRF’s mission to tackle the causes of social problems, considering both the issues of today and the implications for future generations, especially the impacts of climate change.
- We support ethical investment and management of our funds.
- We will work with our suppliers and other partners to develop and deliver sustainable practices, products and services.
- We will seek to procure fair trade and environmentally friendly, sustainable products.
- We will support equal opportunities and fair access in our procurement practices including the way we commission and communicate our research.
- We aim to tackle poverty and disadvantage locally, and through our research and influencing work.
- We will play a role in supporting local communities where we work, eg through York Grants Committee.
- We will seek to minimise the gap between our employees' salaries and the minimum income standard.
- We will treat staff and people and organisations that we work with, fairly and with respect.
- We value and encourage work/life balance and will support flexible working practices wherever possible for our staff.
- We will encourage sharing of knowledge of sustainable working practices to improve our performance.
- We will train our staff on best practice on sustainability.
- We will incentivise our staff to work more sustainably, eg to reduce energy use and to minimise unnecessary travel.
- We will make best use of resources and reduce, re-use and recycle our waste.
- We will seek to reduce our consumption of energy and water and will use renewable energy resources where possible.
- We will operate efficiently in our working processes and practices (eg to avoid duplication, waste and unnecessary expense).
- We will seek to use the most efficient and effective channels for communicating internally and externally.
- We will measure and report on our carbon footprint for our activities with a view to minimising our footprint over time.
- We will encourage bio-diversity on our land.