Frequently asked questions

Answers to questions about grants, other Joseph Rowntree trusts, complaints, publications and more.

Does the JRF give grants to individuals or families?


The JRF works in partnership with organisations and researchers, commissioning search and demonstration work. We offer funding for particular pieces of research that you can find more about the Research opportunity and funding page.

The JRF's York Committee makes modest grants in response to applications from charities and other voluntary and not-for-profit organisations.

Entirely separate from the JRF, the Family Fund offers grants for families with disabled children. For more details:

Phone: 0845 130 4542 or 01904 621115
Email:  [email protected]

Looking for the Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust?

The Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust (JRRT) funds political campaigns in Britain to promote democratic reform, civil liberties and social justice.

For more information:

Phone: 01904 625744
Email: [email protected]

(The Joseph Rowntree Foundation is a completely separate organisation.)

Looking for the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust?

The Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust (JRCT) makes grants to promote peace, equality and accountability.

For more information:

Phone: 01904 627810

(The Joseph Rowntree Foundation is a completely separate organisation.)

Is the JRF connected to the Family Fund?

No, the JRF is entirely separate from the Family Fund.

The Family Fund offers grants for families with disabled children. For more details:

Phone: 0845 130 4542 or 01904 621115
Email:  [email protected]

I have a complaint about the Joseph Rowntree Foundation. Who should I address it to?

You can talk to a member of staff directly; contact our Customer Services Team or our Complaints Officer to make a complaint at any time. You can register a complaint in person, by telephone, by letter, by email or via our website.

You can ask us for help or support with our procedure at any time.

What is your policy on leaseholder compensation and discretionary payments?

Discretionary payments may be considered by way of compensation when JRF, or our managing agent, fail to meet our published standards as set out in the Leaseholder Handbook. When making discretionary payments consideration will be given to the level and nature of disruption and inconvenience experienced as a result of the service failure.

For further information, read our policy.

Can I get JRF publications in alternative formats?

We want to make our services and material as accessible as possible. Please contact us if you:

  • need our material in a different format
  • experience problems accessing our material
  • would like to comment on the accessibility of our website.

I am a JRF resident and I have a complaint. Who do I address it to?

For details on how to make a complaint, please refer to our Residential Complaints leaflet.

Please note that this leaflet is not intended for residents of Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust properties.

Who reviews responses to calls for proposals?

All short-listed full proposals are assessed by: 

  • one independent expert
  • two internal experts - usually the programme manager and one of the assistant directors of policy and research
  • the director of policy and research.

The programme manager and assistant director look at all the proposals received. They remove any that do not meet the brief or that are methodologically weak.

If assessors do not agree over a proposal, or if a proposal is particularly complex, we would bring in other internal or external assessors.

The Director of Policy & Research has overall responsibility for commissioning and decision-making within agreed financial delegated authorities.

What does it mean that JRF is a recognised Living Wage Employer?

The Living Wage is an hourly rate of pay, calculated according to the basic cost of living in the UK. It provides an acceptable standard of living for employees and their families. New Living Wage rates are announced in November each year. Employers choose to pay the Living Wage rates on a voluntary basis. Living Wage Foundation celebrates employers that pay the Living Wage by awarding an ethical mark for them to display.

Do JRF partner with overseas organisations?

The work of the Joseph Rowntree Foundation is in the UK only and funds programmes of research into UK social policy. We are not able to partner with overseas organisations or provide funds or other support for work overseas.

How do I apply for a job at JRF/JRHT?

All of our vacancies are posted on our website in the jobs section.  All jobs will be advertised here and you must apply through the application forms provided on the job posting. For further information email [email protected]. Sorry we do not accept speculative CV’s.