Our event on 8 November 2017 announced the companies we’re working with and who are part of our venture to tackle the Poverty Premium
Fair By Design aims to eliminate the Poverty Premium within 10 years - it's a partnership between Ascension Ventures, Big Society Capital, Finance Birmingham, JRF, Nominet Trust and Wayra UK. The Fair By Design Fund will be investing in companies from Seed through to Series A and beyond. The Fund has £8 million to deploy and is seeking to increase this to £20 million over the next 12 months.
Keynote speaker: Tina Hallett, Leader of Government & Public Sector Industry, PwC
- Natalie Campbell, Chair, Nominet Trust
- Angela Clements, Founder, Fair for You
- Harry Davies, Head of Acceleration, Wayra UK
- Sarah Dunwell, Programme Director, Fair By Design Fund
- Jean de Fougerolles, CEO, Ascension Ventures
- Ian Napier, Co-Founder, Switchee
- Ian Nolan, Investor, Alexa Capital
- Cliff Prior, CEO, Big Society Capital
- Campbell Robb, Chief Executive, Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- Gary Stewart, Managing Director, Wayra UK
The event unveiled the latest start-ups to the Fair By Design acceleration programme:
- GLOBAL-365 - Decreasing the cost of pre-payments for gas, electricity and heating and in doing so simplifying the process and methods of top-up making. SMARTprepay is the first system with the technology and sophistication to finally offer price parity between prepayment and credit customers.
- JobSkilla – A tool that helps unemployed people find free skills training, and connect training organisations to candidates in deprived areas.
- We Are Digital - A project to help people to manage their finances, find the best deals and provide training for financial management.
- Bean - A platform for consumers to understand their spending on recurring payments. Helping people save money and cancel unwanted subscriptions or re-negotiate lower fees on everyday bills.
- Credit Kudos - Credit Kudos gathers information using your online banking to determine your suitability when applying for financial products. Credit Kudos aims to make credit scoring fair and transparent.
Read our press release to find out more about the event and our commitment to the Fair by Design Fund.
Fair by Design partners
Ascension Ventures backs exceptional entrepreneurs with big visions by providing capital, access to our network, and expert mentors to grow scalable businesses.
Big Society Capital aims to improve the lives of people in the UK by connecting investment to charities and social enterprises that are creating social change.
Finance Birmingham is an Alternative Investment Fund Manager that provides existing SMEs around England with affordable and flexible finances to support potential business growth and development.
The Joseph Rowntree Foundation is an independent organization working to inspire social change through research, policy and practice.
Wayra UK is a world-leading start-up accelerator programme. Since 2012, it has helped more than 160 British and Irish start-ups take their businesses to the next level, helping them raise approximately $150m in third-party funding.