This review highlights some key factors in promoting social well-being for older people, including:
- the availability of inclusive and diverse activities, both social and creative;
- the provision of a range of facilities as venues for social interaction, particularly a shop, a restaurant and a garden;
- imaginative and accessible design that promotes a sense of community;
- access to social networks beyond the housing scheme;
- opportunities for service users to be involved in decisions about care delivery and service development;
- and a person-centred approach to care provision.
It also identifies groups of older people who are particularly at risk of social isolation.