The report provides guidelines and checklists for assessing:
- how safe estates are for children to travel about in
- the best locations for play areas
- the safest designs for road and footpath networks
- the availability and accessibility of built and natural play environments for children
- ways to empower and involve children and young people in estate design and play facilities
The study found that children seek social contact with friends through play activity and require a safe and interesting environment to play in.