How to build new urban communities that will stand the test of time
The UK needs many more and better homes. This study presents ideas drawn from research and case studies on how to develop sustainable new communities.
Sustainable Urban Neighbourhoods Network (SUNN) - set up by JRF and URBED (Urban and Economic Development) to explore the experience of developing new communities in England - has looked at:
- the design of new communities;
- principles of good neighbourhood management and partnership working;
- ways of achieving sustainable urban neighbourhoods.
SUNN suggests seven steps to achieving sustainable urban neighbourhoods:
- agree sub-regional spatial and transport investment plans;
- facilitate public-private development partnerships;
- mobilise public undesignated land;
- attract private funding for infrastructure;
- open up housing markets;
- endow community stewardship;
- learn from what works.