Following August 2011's riots across the UK, this paper reviews JRF's back catalogue of research. Over the last 20 years JRF has looked at social and economic conditions, community engagement, regeneration and partnership in poor neighbourhoods, using evidence from hundreds of estates and neighbourhoods across the UK.
This summary gives a picture of life in poorer neighbourhoods:
- the problems that exist in these areas;
- the challenges of living and working there;
- the misconceptions and stereotypes that need confronting;
- questions about representation and participation in society; and
- the need to provide appropriate services.