This study is the most user-centred and authoritative commentary to date on current policies and practice. The Standards We Expect project team (service users, practitioners and researchers) worked with service users, carers, front-line practitioners and managers in eight very diverse settings. They found:
- Good practice is possible, even in the hardest of times.
- Funding and organisational culture need frank discussion.
- Power imbalances, outdated attitudes and doubtful practice are still too common.
A comprehensive book, Supporting people: Towards a person-centred approach by Peter Beresford and others, is published for JRF by The Policy Press, price £19.99 rrp (plus £2.75 p&p).
The four-year Standards We Expect project forms the major part of the JRF Independent Living programme. The team has also produced various guides and studies. These include:
- Person-centred support: A service users' guide
- Person-centred support: A guide to person-centred working for practitioners
- Person-centred support – Choices for end of life care
- Making changes: A guide to running successful and accessible workshops and training
- Working towards person-centred support: A local case study
- Supporting people: Summary in easy words and pictures
- Person-centred support: the big issues (available soon)