Socioeconomic disadvantage and access to higher education
This study argues that recent policy recommendations will not address the gap in representation in higher education between affluent and disadvantaged young people.
Through a survey of school-leavers, before and after leaving school, the report looks at:
- geographical patterns of academic achievement in relation to disadvantage;
- the variety of destinations of school-leavers;
- patterns and levels of participation in higher and further education;
- student finance and parental support;
- barriers to full participation in higher education.
The report concludes with policy recommendations for increasing meaningful participation for under-represented groups of young people.