Ideas to tackle poverty for the long term
This paper outlines the Institute for Public Policy Research’s (IPPR) approach to reducing poverty, and is one of three studies from different think tanks contributing ideas to the development of JRF’s anti-poverty strategy for the UK.
It proposes five ideas that have the potential to make a substantial impact on rates of poverty in the UK over the long term:
- boosting social investment;
- supporting a dual earner household model;
- redesigning back-to-work support for disabled people;
- preventing a lifetime of exclusion;
- providing access to low-cost credit and incentives to build up savings.