This report shows:
- the incomes different family types require in 2017 to meet the minimum standard
- how the cost of a minimum household budget has changed since the last update in 2016, and
- how the incomes of people on benefits, and of those working on the National Living Wage, compare to what they need according to MIS.
It recommends two main actions:
- The Government should lift the freeze on working-age tax credits and Universal Credit, so that support keeps up with the rising cost of living.
- Alongside this, the Government should lift the freeze on the Work Allowance, so that families can keep more of their earnings.